Stephen, here are my off-the-cuff suggestions to encourage Richard the young preacher.
- Guard your life with God jealously. Let no work interfere with your relationship with the Lord. Make your time with him in prayer, reading, and meditation a priority.
- Define your mission, establish objectives, and pursue them relentlessly. Make evangelism your top job.
- If the Word says it, insist on it. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t matter.
- Surrender all ambition to power and leadership. Your authority is in the Word, your influence in your teaching and life, your sway over others through love and sacrifice.
- Set your schedule and stick to it. Pace yourself. Don’t be lazy, but don’t wear yourself out before the time. Take time off. Find strength in renewal.
- Forget immediate results. Make it your aim to be faithful, not successful.
- Be thankful at all times. Resentment will kill not only your work, but your life in God.