My religion is bad
Yes, my religion can be bad. The word religion is used negatively in the New Testament for what doesn’t please God. So when is my religion bad?
- When it fails to offer hope.
- When it produces a disparity between words and actions and motives.
- When it sets up comparisons in my favor.
- When it doesn’t produce compassion.
- When it permits what God forbids, or forbids what he permits.
- When it isolates me from those in need.
- When it relies on sight, rather than faith.
- When it competes, rather than loves.
- When it uses man for its measure, rather than God’s holiness.
- When it turns a deaf ear to God’s word, a blind eye to eternal dangers, and a stubborn will to divine discipline.
This list isn’t complete. What ways might you add? And the point: let us work to make our piety pleasing to God.