We sing “blest be the tie that binds” but to enjoy it we must be aware of the ties that blind.
- Jesus warned about the consequences of loving our closest kin more than him (Matthew 10:34-37).
- Paul warned about being “unequally yoked” with unbelievers who prevent us from doing God’s will (2 Corinthians 6:14-18).
- John warned about supporting false teachers who cloud the clarity of sound doctrine (2 John 1:8-11).
- Peter warned about the dangers of peer-pressure as we seek to live a godly life (1 Peter 4:1-5).
- James warned about the results of being a friend to the world’s way of doing things (James 4:4).
- Jude warned about those who would seek fellowship while wreaking havoc of the very grace that brings it together (Jude 1:3-5).
God’s word is plain enough – there is a tie a binds us to him, but to enjoy it we must untie and avoid the binds that will blind us to the fellowship of the heavenly sorts.
So which song are we going to sing?