Yes, you read the title correctly. Going to church today will do you no good,
- if you do not go in order to seek the Lord’s presence, Hb 11.6;
- if you do not worship him in spirit and in truth, Jo 4.24;
- if you go looking only to receive rather than give, Ac 20.35;
- if you go to perform and get attention, rather than to edify, 1Co 14;
- if you go merely out of a sense of obligation, and not spurred by a sense of gratitude, Psa 28.7; 2Co 9.7.
Being in the midst of the saints is a good start, a necessary start. But physical presence in the assembly of the church has little to recommend itself. The motivations of the heart must be aligned with the purpose of the Lord.
“As your words came to me I drank them in, and they filled my heart with joy and happiness because I belong to you, O Lord, the God who rules over all” Jer 15.16 NET.