Many fail to recognize the importance of the church. They look upon it as just another civic organization that is good to join. Is it? There are many excellent opportunities for friendship and fellowship within the church, BUT it is much more than that.
1. It belongs to Jesus. He told His disciples in Mt. 16:18 that He would build His church on this rock (Peter’s confession in verse 16). The words church and kingdom are used interchangeably in this passage.
2. He paid for it with His own blood (Acts 20:28).
3. Peter further stated in I Pet. 1:17-19 that Christians are redeemed “with the precious blood of Christ…”
4. According to Paul’s first letter to the church in Corinth, each of them was a member of the body of Christ (I Cor. 12:27).
5. The apostle Paul further identified the church as the house of God (I Tim. 3:14, 15).
6. Some, attempting to minimalize the church’s value say that the church does not save. That is correct. The church IS the saved (Acts 2:47).
With Christ being the head of the church, which consists of those who are being saved, it is extremely essential that His will be followed in all that we do in our Christian lives.