Middle-Tennessee has been blessed, or cursed (depending upon how you view snow), with a few inches of the frozen white stuff the last couple of days.
When it comes to the middle-East and “Bible climates” I think most people, for one reason or another, envision a dry or hot climate. Fact is, the Bible uses the word snow no less than twenty-five times (22 in the OT, 3 in the NT).
Can you think of any?
Here is a list of what I would consider to be the top-ten verses where the word “snow” is a contributor to the thrust of the biblical writer’s point. One or two of these will have an accompanying verse for context sake:“Furthermore the Lord said to him, “Now put your hand in your bosom.” And he put his hand in his bosom, and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous, like snow.” (Exodus 4:6 NKJV)
- “And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper.” (Numbers 12:10 NKJV)
- “As snow in summer and rain in harvest, so honor is not fitting for a fool.” (Proverbs 26:1 NKJV)
- “She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household is clothed with scarlet.” (Proverbs 31:21 NKJV)
- ““Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” (Isaiah 1:18 NKJV)
- “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:10-11 NKJV)
- “I watched till thrones were put in place, and the Ancient of Days was seated; His garment was white as snow, and the hair of His head was like pure wool. His throne was a fiery flame, its wheels a burning fire;” (Daniel 7:9 NKJV)
- “And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow.” (Matthew 28:2-3 NKJV)
- “His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.” (Mark 9:3 NKJV)
- “His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire;” (Revelation 1:14 NKJV)
Did any of these verses come to your mind?
If several of them did, you may know your snow verses better than most!