The bleachers were filled with warriors as they sat in the outdoor basketball court to hear the speakers talk about aspects of soul winning. Men and women are battle-tested, fighters in the army of God. These 100 or so assembled evangelists, missionaries to the nations of the world listened, lectured, prayed, sang, taught and learned for the 3 days of the Missionary Retreat and Workshop at Maywood Christian Camp in Hamilton, Alabama, May 13 – 15.
We heard of the battles, the victories, the strategies to reach the lost. These men told their stories, gave their messages, and rehearsed what the Lord had done through them in the various parts of the earth.
These thoughts were extracted from the things the men said …
1. Louis Rushmore. “The singular mission of the Lord’s church is evangelism, and your primary responsibility and mine is to tell someone about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”
2. Colin McKee. “God is concerned with PEACE, but there is opportunity even in conflict; and Paul’s 5 principle formula to address conflict is found in Philippians 4:2 – 9:”
a. Rejoice in the Lord
b. Let our gentleness be known to all
c. Replace anxiety with prayer
d. See things as they really are.
e. Practice what you have learned.
3. James Jones. “In the age of the internet RADIO is still an effective evangelism tool.”
4. Gordon Hogan. “Trust of a small group draws trust of others…and it multiplies and grows into a cooperating number of people with a variety of talents.”
5. Randal Matheny. “There can be no ‘struggle together’ (striving side by side) as long as there is contention between two of God’s children.”
6. Robert Martin. “We are all fellow servants by whom others are brought to Him.”
7. Roy Wilson. “Indigenous self-replicating church growth, unrestrained by manmade borders, is our only realistic hope to save the world.”
8. Ken Wilkey. “Will we be a united, family of God, where the younger members are blessed with all of us as examples of servant leaders. To do this we must dream, plan, and work together. We need to share our victories and failures, while loving and enjoying each other’s company. As the “Company of the Committed” let us do whatever is necessary to reach the lost and leave them our models to follow.”
9. Loy Mitchell. “We can all be champion evangelists.”
10. Don Green. “The poured out blood is an act of the Messiah, not just some thing which was done to Him figuratively by holy anointing oil. (Exodus 30: 22-38; Matthew 26:28).”
11. Jeremy Barrier. “Execute 1st century evangelism in the 21st century.”
12. Ronnie Crocker (Note: Ronnie was a convicted prisoner; while in jail he learned the truth. This message has come from one ‘out and down’ who revived and has been preaching the word to others who are in the shape he was when he was rescued from Hell.) His thesis: “I was amazed at the power of truth. We have a great mission field behind the bars of our jails. There is a far-reaching effect in jail ministry, because the convicts will get out one day. I’m working with addicted children of elders and ministers and deacons, crying out for help. We have to pray, read the bible, study the bible, teach others.”
13. Don Petty. “A great number of great people obeying the great commission in a great number of small ways gives a great harvest of souls for a great God.”
The central focus and message and challenge largely is summarized in this thought, the great commission directs our lives and contains the perpetuating message –
- Go all over earth,
- Teaching everyone how to be “in Christ,”
- Baptizing them for the remission of sins in order for them to have the gift
of the Holy Spirit dwell in them,
- Teaching them to live as Christians, in
Loving the brethren,
Fellowshipping one another,
Staying in Sound Doctrine, and
Teaching others everything Jesus taught us.
[Plan to join us next year! http://missionaryretreat.net ]
We preach outdoors to attendees sitting on bleachers in a basketball court under a covered roof with wire (chicken wire all around to ‘keep the ball in’ and ‘keep the uninvited varmints’ out.)
The camp has a lake the speakers can see off to their left as they speak. It is in itself inspiring.