Have you ever thought if someone would just tell you what you should not do, or avoid, to be able to live the Christian life, you would do it and then you could be a living sacrifice for Jesus? I imagine we all have thought of that at one time or another. Let’s look at Romans chapter 12 and see what Paul told the brethren there.
– Eight “Nots” to offer the body a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God –
- Do not conform any longer to the pattern of your mind but be transformed by the renewing of your mind- v.2
- Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment… v. 3; 1 Corinthians 12:12
- Do not be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor serving the Lord… v.11. When we lose our zeal we invite the devil into our life.
- Do not be proud (Lk. 17:7-10) but be willing to associate with people of low position v. 16
- Do not be conceited (wise in your own opinion) v. 16
- Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. v. 17
- Do not take revenge, but leave room for God’s wrath. v.19 (Remember we are not in the business of taking vengeance.)
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.v. 21.
Please take time to read this wonderful chapter for a further study of the Word of God.
I must admit that the above notes were taken from my NIV Bible, where I had taken notes on Doug’s sermon preached at Geneva on March 27, 2011. I now use the NKJV Bible since it is the one Doug uses in his preaching. But, the lesson was special to me back in March of 2011, and I hope it will be a blessing to you once again.