HUGH’S NEWS & VIEWS
God is . . .
1. Eternal. He had neither a beginning nor will He have an ending. He was in the beginning (Genesis 1:1) and created all things that exist (Acts 17:24). “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God” (Psalm 90:2).
2. Unchangeable. “For I am the Lord, I do not change . . .” (Malachi 3:6). With God “there is no variation or shadow of turning” (James 1:17).
3. Spirit. (John 4:24). A spirit does not have flesh and bones (Luke 24:39), therefore in His essence God does not have flesh and bones. Human features attributed to God such as face, eyes, arms, hands, fingers, etc. are for our benefit that we might get a better grasp of Him. Literally and physically, God does not possess such features.
4. Omnipotent (all powerful). “I am Almighty God” (Genesis 17:1). “Is anything too hard for the Lord” (Genesis 18:14)?
5. Omniscient (all knowing). “O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether” (Psalms 139:1-4).
6. Omnipresent (present everywhere). “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell [Sheol, Hebrew; Hades, Greek], behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me,’ even the night shall be light about me; indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You” (Psalm 139:7-12). “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good” (Proverbs 15:3).
7. Holy. “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory” (Isaiah 6:3). “. . . but as He who has called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, ‘Be holy, for I am holy’ ” (I Peter 1:15-16, quoting Leviticus 11:44). The word means “separate, apart, distinct.”
8. Love. “He who does not love does not know God, for God is love” (I John 4:8). “And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who dwells in love dwells in God, and God in him” (I John 4:16).
9. Good. “Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance” (Romans 2:4)?
10. Just. “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; mercy and truth go before Your face” (Psalm 89:14). “Be not deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life” (Galatians 6:7-8). Paul the apostle of Christ clearly affirms that it is a righteous thing with God for Him to take vengeance “on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ,” and that “these will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” (II Thessalonians 1:6-10).
These are some (not all) of the attributes of the one great God of the universe.
May 21, 28: Green Hill Church of Christ, Mount Juliet, TN
May 20, 2014