QUESTIONS FOR CHRISTIANS ABOUT THE CHURCH
1. What is the church? (Write a simple one sentence definition of the church.)
2. When did the church first exist in the mind of God?
3. Was the church a subject of Old Testament prophecy?
4. Who was the founder of the church?
5. When was the church established as a historical reality?
6. Where was the church established?
7. Which book and chapter of the Bible records the beginning of the church as a historical reality?
8. What are some other terms by which the church is known in the New Testament?
9. In New Testament times were there any accountable saved people who were not members of the church?
10. In what two senses is the word “saved” used in the New Testament?
11. What did people do in New Testament times to be saved from their sins and added to the church?
12. In New Testament times were there any members of the church who also were members of some denomination? (Do you know when the first protestant denomination was established and which one it was?)
13. Who is the head (supreme authority) of the church?
14. In New Testament times how were local churches (congregations in specific geographical locations) organized?
15. What are some of the designations used in the New Testament for the overseers of the local churches?
16. Are there any biblical texts that show that the New Testament sets forth a fixed standard for the church to adhere to in all ages until the end of time? Can you list some of these scriptures?
17. Are there any indications in the New Testament that there would be a falling away from the New Testament standard for the church? Can you list some of these scriptures?
18. Why are there so many different denominations in the world today? When and where did all of these denominations begin?
19. Can one be a Christian, a member of the church of which we read in the New Testament, without being a member of any denomination?
20. What is the ultimate destiny of the church? Can you give a scripture text to justify your answer?
How did you do on the questions? Do you need to do some further and deeper study on what the Bible teaches about the church?
“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to every one who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear . . .” (I Peter 3:15).
April 11, 2017
April 12: Green Hill Church of Christ, Mount Juliet, TN