From the book, Hooked: New Science on How Casual Sex is Affecting Our Children by Joe S. McIlhaney, M.D. and Freda McKissic Bush, M.D. [pages 82-83].
- 80% of unwed fathers don’t marry the teen mother of their baby.
- 80% of unwed teen mothers eventually receive welfare.
- 50% of all single mothers on welfare were teenagers when they had their first baby.
- 70% of unwed mothers receive no financial support from the fathers of their children.
- Teen mothers receive an average of $67 per month in child support.
- Nearly one-half of all teen pregnancies under the age of 19 occur in relationships with males more than three years older.
Sadly, for many people, facts lose all of their impact when staring down hormones and the need to fit in and be needed. However, we must stand strong against the tide and proclaim the truth boldly. “Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge” (Hebrews 13:4).