I don’t know if you’ve heard the news (as of right now, the video on YouTube already has over 5 1/2 million views), but a very sad, bad and unfortunate situation played out over the weekend when a very young child fell into a lowland gorilla exhibit at a Cincinnati zoo. The boy’s encounter with the gorilla ultimately resulted in the gorilla being shot and killed, and the boy having to go to the hospital for, what some media outlets were calling, “non-life-threatening” injuries. And as of this morning, according to the stories of outrage now being directed toward the zoo and the parents, it seems as if another result of the situation will be that the family of this young child will have to go into protective custody!
The following are “some” of the “profanity-free” comments that can be read on YouTube. Now I want to say that I have no doubt that some of these “comments” are only being made because of the brashness, “boldness”, “bravery” and desire for attention that oft describes many comments made on websites. But that fact withstanding, I believe that some of the comments come from their maker’s heart and that they reflect a growing warped mindset concerning the western culture’s view of human life versus animal life. Look at what I mean:
- The employee who killed the gorilla should be fired and sent to prison.
- They should have let the gorilla kill the kid. There are around 200 left of them on the entire planet and nearly 7 billion people. We’re a disgusting species that ruined our natural ecosystem. Now we keep animals in cages for our entertainment. Shame on all of us.
- They should’ve shot the child instead of the gorilla
- Hmm there’s only a handful of gorillas in the world left. There’s millions of little boys, this should speak for itself.
- Gorillas are endangered kids are not I think we know who should’ve been shot.
- I still can’t believe the gorilla had to die over protection of a 3yr old
- They shot an innocent, beautiful Silverback because of a BAD mother, how disgusting
- If someone forced me out of my natural habitat to entertain people and these entertained people managed to fall… i would have done worse than this gorilla.
On and on the comments go. Now we see the mindset that leads to millions of government tax dollars going to child-aborting-production-line companies such as “Planned Parenthood” while “adults” elsewhere chain themselves to trees and freely give millions of dollars to companies that fight for animal lives. Now we see the mindset that leads to more tears being shed over the thought of an animal losing its life than the rivers of human blood that flows down America’s sewers because of “liberty”. Now we see the mindset that leads to legal action being taken against people who reveal the flippant attitude that Murder Inc. bosses have toward the dead body of a human fetus while the people who release footage of animals being killed on food-farms are lauded as heroes. Now we see the mindset that causes a sad situation to become something that reveals an even sadder mindset.
Is there room for discussion about vigilant parenting when it comes to this situation? No doubt. But I believe that there is now more room for discussion about the mindset that calls for “vigilante” justice because the life of a child was protected by taking the life of an animal.
“Look at the birds in the sky: They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you more valuable than they are?” (Matthew 6:26 – NET)
#abortion, #animal-rights, #animals, #human-life, #mindset, #news, #values, #western-culture