The other day I was sitting in front of the box-fan cooling down after exercising. As I was sitting I looked up at the table (in the Cain Room) and took down the Bible beside the bed, opened it up, and look at the inside front cover. Inside the front cover were notes Wilma Cain made concerning what makes a pure church. Let me share those with you.
1. Let every member be consecrated to God—1 Peter 2:9-10
2. Let every disciple separate from all sin—2 Timothy 2:19
3. Let every evangelist condemn sin wherever found—2 Timothy 4:1-2
4. Let elders exercise discipline against all who sin—2 Thessalonians 3:6
5. Let every congregation correct all wrongs—1 Corinthians 5:7
6. Let all study to gain better understanding of the Word—Ephesians 4:17-18
7. Let Christians remember that all sin is excluded from heaven—Revelation 22:15
8. [The] Bible contains all things desirable for man—Abe Lincoln.
I do not know how old the writing is inside the front cover of the Bible is, but I do know the date that Bert (her husband) gave her this particular Bible (12.25.1943).
Many of you remember Wilma for the great lady she was (in my biased opinion), and it was the case that every now and again she would give me her opinion on some varied thing—even when I did not ask! If she lived in accordance with the words above—and there is no reason to think she did not—then she would have made a great contribution to the Lord’s church, and the sermon (or Bible class) from which she learned this is a good sermon for her to preach to us today. RT