The Old Cowboy in 1975 through most of…

The Old Cowboy in 1975 through most of 1977 contiunued to do the early morning radio show at KADA-AM along with selling advertsiing. With the help of several very good Bible scholars I continued to sharpen my skills as a Bible class teacher, and looked for any opportunity to preach a little or do a devotional. Along the way I made friends with a couple of men from the Central Church of Christ across town and got to speak a few times at their East Central University Bible Chair. Along with that my friend in the ECU administration Office and I brought a couple more shows into the ECU Fieldhouse.

I continued my rodeo announcing around Ada and South Central and South Eastern Oklahoma and announced a couple of rodeos up around Oklahoma City for Elmer Anderson. I met a lot of other rodeo announcers and personalities along the way. I met people like Clem McSpaden the legendary voice of Pro Rodeo, and the writer of what is known as the Cowboy’s Prayer. Clem was a big voice and one of the officials of the National Finals Rodeo which at that time took place in the old Oklahoma State Fairgrounds Arena in Oklahooma City. Along the same time I took a trip to the International Finals Rodeo in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I had met Jim Shoulders of Henryetta, Oklahoma several years brefore. Besides his well deserved reputation as a World Champion Cowboy, and rodeo stock contractor Jim was the owner of the legendary dark red bull Tornado. Back in 1967 Jim was furnishing a lot of the rough stock (bulls and horses) that appeared at the National Fiunals Rodeo. Tornado in 14 years had bucked off 200 bull riders and had the reputation as being the unrideable bull. That all ended on my birthday December 1, 1967, the Friday night performance at the N.F.R. Of all things a 46 year old cowboy from Soper Oklahoma by the name of Warren “Freckles” Brown drew Tornado. Eight seconds after Freckles Brown had said “Lets Ride” Tornado’s record of bucking off bull riders ended. In 1975 Freckles Brown was still a rodeo legend and I enjoyed having him on my radio show and announcing his appearance at several rodeos around the state. It was about that time too that I met Hadley Barrwett a PRCA announcer from North Platte, Nebraska. Hadley would a few years later help open the door for me to become a PRCA Rodeo Announcer and he and I would share a microphone at several rodeos.

During all of the years I lived in Ada and Picket, Oklahoma I was involved in the Pontotoc County Fair and became very involved in the activities of the 4-H program. I talked to them about public speaking, radio and rodeo announcing, and announced a bunch of their events. It was one of the most enjoyable things I involved myself in. I became good friends with the kids and their parents, and yes I saw some of them on Sunday’s and Wednesday nights as well. Then on Monday night October 11th, 1976 the kids and their parents and the 4-H leaders told me how much they appreciated what I had been doing. I was presented with an Oklahoma Friend of 4-H Award, and on it it said “In recognition of Outstanding Contributions to Oklahoma 4-H Programs.” Now that took me totally by surprise, and I really appreciated that award. Along about the same time one of the 4-H boys came to the radio station with his mom and gave me a plaster Cowboy holding a sadddle he had taken a lot of care to paint. That cowboy has sat on my desk ever since, as a reminder of some great young 4-H friends.

Near the end of June in 1977 our lives would begin to really change. On Thursday June 30th, 1977 the Wewoka Daily Times published an article on the Front Page under the heading “New Radio Manager Named.” I had been asked to return to KWSH-AM Radio as the General Manager where I had started my radio carrier not many years before. The Coffman family’s move to Seminole, Oklahoma and the next chapter in this journey is the next story.