Things I will miss about this world
Other than the fact that my list will obviously revolve more around musings meant to produce some humorous thoughts, let me quickly emphasize that when I say I will miss certain things about this world, I’m not talking about any of the things that John plainly warns about (1 John 2:15-17). What I am saying with my list is if God could say his creation was very good before the end of the week (Genesis 1:31) then to me it means there are certain things about this place that can be worth appreciating. And even though I believe God promises eternal life with a new heavens and a new earth to his faithful (2 Peter 3:12-13), I also believe life there will be very different when compared to what we know here. I’m not saying I know all the details of what life in eternity will be like with my list, but I am saying odds are (as they appear to me) a few things here will be missing there. Therefore, here’s my list of things I will miss about this world:
- taking pictures (I’m not great at it, but I do enjoy taking a few of the great outdoors every now and then)
- birthday cards and cake (perhaps we can still celebrate our born-again day…but keeping up with any age in eternity would become quite a task)
- fireworks (maybe the new heavens will be quite the light show though)
- cereal (Lucky Charms, Honey Bunches of Oats, Raisin Bran Crunch, Golden Grahams, Honey Nut Cheerios … I could keep going)
- driving in the country (although flying could make me forget all about it).
The point of this article isn’t about me trying to come up with things that I think are better than what we will be given in Heaven, much less worth exchanging for it. Not even close. The point is that I don’t expect this life to be all that there is.
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” (1 Peter 1:3-5 NKJV)