One of our greatest opportunities each day is to think about things from God’s perspective, to develop thinking things as God would.
The Apostle Paul wrote, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God,” (Colossians 3:1-3 ESV).
“Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” This may be easy to say, hard to do, some think. Things on the earth force their reality upon us. But the realities of God and heaven are just as true and have even more force.
If we want heaven to be our eternal home, then we should cultivate spiritual thinking and make spiritual things the most important things in our lives. If we start thinking of things above we will:
1. Place real treasure in heaven (Matthew 6:19-21).
2. Build a surer, more permanent foundation for our lives (Matthew 7:24-27).
3. Lay a secure hold on eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12).
4. Help ourselves to avoid Satan’s call to sin. Higher thoughts take us away from the base thoughts where sin lies (Proverbs 15:14).
5. Always have an attitude of submission where true salvation is (Romans 12:3).
Seek those things that are above. Set your minds your minds on things that are above. That is surely good advice for the child of God.