Where were you on this day?
That’s become an important question that has marked the anniversary of September 11th for the last 14 years. But in addition to you yourself, I ask you, where was America…as a nation?
On this day 14 years ago, America was…
- badly hurting…now it’s revelry as usual
- humbled beyond belief…now our arrogance is stronger than it’s ever been
- a praying nation…now we’re back to mocking a conversation with God
- overflowing with politicians desperate to say God bless America…now more and more politicians are desperate to rid America of God
- e pluribus unum…now we’re more fractured than we have been in over a generation
- through with violence…now the stats accumulate like any other day of the year
- desirous of following God’s law and righteousness instead of our own…now the interest is given to making man’s wrongs appear as though they were righteous with God because of man’s law
- sick with sorrow…now numbness has taken over
- unsure of what September 12th would look like…now we’re back to thinking that tomorrow will be business as usual
- in desperate need of God’s grace, protection and guidance…now we’re in desperate need of God’s grace, protection and guidance
Some things change and some things…well at least one thing has stayed the same.
So where were you on this day 14 years ago, and where are you today? I know where America was – and I know where America is.
“I have taken refuge in the Lord. So how can you say to me, “Flee to the hills like a bird because the wicked have already bent their bows; they’ve already strung their arrows; they are ready to secretly shoot those whose heart is right”? When the very bottom of things falls out, what can a righteous person possibly accomplish? But the Lord is in his holy temple. The Lord! His throne is in heaven. His eyes see—his vision examines all of humanity. The Lord examines both the righteous and the wicked; his very being hates anyone who loves violence. God will rain fiery coals and sulfur on the wicked; their cups will be filled with nothing but a scorching hot wind because the Lord is righteous! He loves righteous deeds. Those whose heart is right will see God’s face.” (Psalm 11 – CEB)