On Friday, December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, a 20-year-old gunman massacred 20 Sandy Hook Elementary Students, 5 Faculty members, his mother, and then himself. Too late, he took himself out of our misery. The inevitable question is: WHY?
(1) Former Mayor of New York City, Rudy Giuliani, the next day on Fox TV News noted the answer is “complex,” involving medical, psychological, mental, sociological factors, and anyone who had a simple answer could not be right. (2) Politicians and their Propaganda Press, began their tyrannical mantra of, “all guns must be outlawed.” (3) Even before the precious bodies began to be buried, President Obama did not let this crisis go to waste, and on Sunday opened his address to that stunned community gathering with a Scripture quotation:
A) “Thank you. Thank you, governor. To all the families, first responders, to the community of Newtown, clergy, guests: Scripture tells us: “…do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away…inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.”
He also used the occasion to advance his political agenda:
B) “In the coming weeks, I’ll use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens — from law enforcement to mental health professionals to parents and educators — in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this,” Obama said. “Because what choice do we have? We can’t accept events like this as routine. Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage? That the politics are too hard?”
A response to their remarks follows.
(1) Mayor Giuliani’s comment shows abysmal ignorance of the Word of God. God created humans and knows everything about us; the Bible is the gradual unfolding of the revelation of God and what He provides in our best interest; Jesus Christ is the only personification of perfection in a human being. God condemned the first murderer, Cain, who killed his brother Abel. “Why?” is answered in 1 John 3:11-12: “For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.” In the entire history of mankind, those who choose to do evil obey the Devil, of whom Jesus Christ said, “”Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it” (John 8:43-44). The simple solution to all evil is that, for whatever reasons, evil is chosen and the Devil obeyed. Jesus Christ is available for everyone who repents and is baptized in His name for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38).
(2) The Propaganda Press drive a political agenda by reciting its current mantra, without investigating and reporting only the facts. Any horrific crime where a gun is used, “the gun must be outlawed.” Almost every school shooter has been a boy from a broken home. God planned that every child born should have two parents: a male and a female (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; Colossians 3:18-21). A Government which sanctions divorce for every cause, “legalizes” homosexual “marriages,” and provides welfare for single parents has virtually destroyed the will and need for the home as God would have it. For every “single mother” there is a delinquent dad. But the Propaganda Press completely ignores this fact because they headline their “party line.”
(3) A) The Scripture the President quoted is 2 Corinthians 4:16-5:1, and it comforts in that it emphasizes that the stresses and pains we encounter in this life should not keep us from achieving the greater goal of “an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.”
However the President of the United States of America, standing before the American Flag and behind the Presidential Seal, in a public school facility, and in his official capacity representing the Executive Branch of the Government, quoted Scripture??? What happened to the “separation of church and state” arguments? The President proved by his quotation that there is NO “Law of the Land” that separates “church and state,” therefore THERE IS NO LEGAL PROHIBITION FOR PREACHING SCRIPTURE, PRAYING, OR OTHER RELIGIOUS PRACTICES IN PUBLIC ASSEMBLIES!!! Since he disregarded all supposed claims that separate church from state, WHY CAN’T ALL CHRISTIANS DO THE SAME?
The President’s quotation was written by an “Apostle of Jesus Christ” and to those whose “sufferings” and “consolation” are connected with Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 1:1, 5). Was the President being insensitive to other religious groups? Were there no Jews, Muslims, or Atheists present to object to Christian Scripture, or the concepts of “inner man,” or “eternal?” One parent’s objection has been all it has taken to stop such references throughout the rest of the country. Since the President of the United States of America can preach from Scripture written in the name of Jesus Christ in complete disregard for minority objections, THEN WHY CAN’T ALL CHRISTIANS? Those who do not accept the beliefs of the group should simply absent themselves from that group assembly.
That the President would quote Scripture to show concern for these dead children makes one wonder why he doesn’t quote other Scriptures for the living children?
-Has he not read about the Egyptian king who “dealt treacherously” by having babies killed as they were born (Acts 7:17-19)?
-Has he not read how God described how His sparing Jerusalem was like saving a newborn baby that had been “loathed on the day” it was born and thrown to the ground that it might die (Ezekiel 16:1-6)?
-Has he not read that God’s Prophet, Elisha, wept foreseeing a king’s “evil” who “will dash their children, and rip open their women with child” (2 Kings 8:12)?
-When abortion murders millions of babies who, though conceived, were “not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil” (Romans 9:10-11), what is the President doing to prevent “more tragedies like this?”
If the President only quoted Scripture for a political photo-op, then, we must conclude he uses God’s Word to cover selfish ambition, and is “handling the word of God deceitfully” (2 Corinthians 4:2). If, however, he believes in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ, then we must conclude that he’ll “use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens — from law enforcement to mental health professionals to parents and educators — in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this” by Executive Order, thus remove all laws and rulings that presently “suppress the truth in unrighteousness” (Romans 1:18).
(3) B) The President said, “We can’t accept events like this as routine. Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage? That the politics are too hard?”
-Then how can he accept “as routine” abortion clinics, Planned Parenthood, or The Supreme Court’s ruling that approve the genocide of abortion?
-Then how can he accept “as routine” thousands of American military service personnel who continually die in foreign countries?
-Then how can he accept “as routine” Federal policies that hamper public education (and protection!) of our precious children, that take it out of local, loving hands?
There is no answer or preventative to be found in the institutions of men who “only fix our eyes on what is seen,” and refuse to see the solution offered by the God who cannot be seen about that which we cannot see. Only God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ can prevent more sin.
—–John T. Polk II